Sprint 1 Retrospective

At the middle of last week, our team finally concluded our first sprint, working on user approving system for the LibreFoodPantry. Overall, I think our team did pretty good on doing a lot of initial setups and communicating with other teams to make sure we can have a consistency on data across databases. For me personally, I did quite a lot of work on setting up repositories, researching on making the back-end database, and helping my teammate, as well as people from other teams on the problems that they have that are related to our module.

List of what I accomplished during the last sprint:

- Setting up repositories, including ApproveGuestWebUIApproveGuestService, and isApprovedWebUI, which regarding to tasks like forking from templates, enforcing rules for making changes to the source code, and informing the team about that policy.

- Researching about how mySQL database can be initialized on Docker containers, import - export existing mySQL container for future usage, and communicating to it from outside of the container (wiki page is available at link)

- As I am more interested in getting the back-end to finish in the early stage of development, I helped one of my teammate, Tyler, to make documentation about REST API endpoints and further getting feedback and making suggestion with other teams on those endpoints (wiki page is available at link).

- With all that endpoints in place, I setup the schema to potentially be what the mock and the actual database looks like and getting appropriate changes to it to match with the Register Guest module (wiki page is available at link).

- Finally, I had a lot more time towards the end of the sprint than I expected, so I dug deeper in setting up Spring Boot for the REST API and making a few objects within the program to lighten the amount of work for the next sprint.

With a lot of work that is put into initializing the project, I also learned a lot. While I did have a chance to experience SCRUM on my last internship, this time we use Gitlab as a tool to log all of our work, which I really the simplicity but professional and effective, rather than Jira and Confluence, which are more corporate driven software. I also learn to operate Docker, which I delay on getting to know it for a while as I though to myself that virtualization is a most optimal way to go, and after the last sprint, both are now under my consideration for future projects. And lastly, I learn that communication is really important, especially in the early stage of development, as a lot of data structures have to be defined and unified among the teams.

There is also the excitement, and at the same time,  frustration, of planning what to do to optimize the time and the work needed to get the job done as we had a list of questions without a clear answer on where we should head to. Although on Gitlab, we got really few comments put up, the teams had a lot of face to face conversations to make decisions on problems, and that I think is a problem that we need to record more of our conversation during the next sprint. At the end of the sprint, we are able to finish every issue tickets that we put up initially and we got quite some spare time afterward so I think we did a really great job on what we set out to do and I think the more sprint that goes on, we would be able to take a much heavier workload.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Software Quality Assurance Introduction

Mock testing

Path testing